We are running the new AQA course in year 12. Please visit this web link to get some more information regarding this course.
PSYA 1: Cognitive Psychology, Developmental Psychology and Research methods
COGNITIVE PSYCHOLOGY: Memory
- Models of memory
- Memory in everyday life
DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY: Early social development
- Attachment in everyday life
- Methods and techniques
- Investigation design
- Data analysis and presentation
PSYA 2: Biological Psychology, Social Psychology and Individual differences
BIOLOGICAL PSYCHOLOGY: Stress
- Stress as a bodily response
- Stress in everyday life
SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY: Social influence
- Social influence
- Social influence in everyday life
INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES: Psychopathology (Abnormality)
- Defining and explaining psychological abnormality
- Treating abnormality
Candidates have the opportunity to study 2 topics out of eight, there is some scope for choice:
- Biological rhythms and sleep
- Eating behaviour
- Intelligence and learning
- Cognition and development
How is this unit assessed? 1 hour 30 mins exam, each question may be divided into subparts but the main focus is essay based answers.
How much does this unit count toward a full A Level? 25%
There are three sections to this paper, one question from each section has to be answered.
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Media Psychology
- The psychology of addictive behaviour
- Anomalistic psychology
- Psychological Research and Scientific Method
You will be expected to:
- Develop knowledge and understanding of different areas of Psychology
- Develop skills of analysis, evaluation and application in relation to different areas of Psychology
- Develop knowledge and understanding of Research Methods associated with these areas of Psychology
- Develop knowledge and understanding of ethical issues associated with these areas of Psychology
PSYCHOLOGY A level
EXAM BOARD: AQA
There are two units in AS Psychology (PSYA 1 and PSYA 2) each weighing 50% of total AS mark and both units are assessed by 1 hour and 30 minutes exam. Questions include short answer, stimulus material and one 12-mark question requiring extended writing in which QWC (Quality of Written Communication) will be assessed.
There are also two units in A2 Psychology (PSYA3 and PSYA4), each making up 25% of the total A level. Both are assessed by examination, unit 3 is a 1hour and 30 minutes examination and unit 4 is a 2 hour exam. Both exams are essay based but can be broken down into sub sections. The research methods part of the unit 4 exam is a structure question with multiple parts.
The specification is available at the following website:
Useful equipment / resources
A set textbook is a requirement of the course and there are opportunities to purchase revision guides and exam packs throughout the course.
Students are expected to read around the subject.